You can reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by ordering a FREE Junk Mail Reduction Kit. It contains pre-addressed postcards that can be filled out and mailed to key agencies that will remove your name from mailing lists.
Click HERE to request a free kit online, or call the Recycling Hotline at 570-2876.
The bulk of your junk
Businesses and organizations subscribe to the Direct Marketing Association (DMA), giving them access to the largest mailing list in the country. Completing and mailing the list-removal postcard in the Junk Mail Reduction Kit will eliminate the largest portion of your junk mail.
After receiving the postcard, the DMA will remove your address from its list and it will remain "deleted" for 5 years. It may take 3 months or more for your request to take effect. If you want to remain on some mailing lists, such as a particular catalog, notify them individually.
Stopping the bundles of unaddressed flyers that come to your mailbox is a 2-step process. First, send the kit's detachable postcards to ADVO and Harte-Hanks. That will stop the address card that goes with the flyers. If you continue to get the flyers even without an address card, call the supervisor at your local post office and tell them you received unaddressed mail. Point out that you have specifically asked to be taken off the lists.
Protect your information
Avoid participating in sweepstakes and contests unless you can request to not have your name added to a mailing list. When completing warranties, product registrations, or questionnaires, don't include personal information.
You can significantly reduce the amount of doorstep flyers by using a “No Advertisement” doorhanger, like the one available FREE from www.litterfreelB.org.
Credit card offers
To reduce credit offers from any of the 4 major credit reporting companies (Equifax, Experian, Innovis, or Trans Union), call the Credit Reporting Industry Pre-Screening Opt Out number: 888-5-OPTOUT.
To learn more about preventing waste, check CalRecycle's Waste Prevention World site at www.calrecycle.ca.gov/reducewaste.
|Buy Recycled: It Closes the Loop
It’s simple economics. The value of recycled materials is driven by market demand. As
consumers, we must choose products or packaging with recycled content, so that the materials
we recycle are put to use, and markets are sustained.
Recycled materials used in manufacturing products or packaging fall into two categories: “pre-consumer” and “post-consumer”.
Pre-consumer is often referred to as “mill scraps”. It is recycled internally at manufacturing
Post-consumer refers to materials that are used by consumers then returned, through
recycling programs, to the manufacturing process.
Many products or packaging that use “post-consumer” content, will indicate so on its packaging,
sometimes with a percentage (the higher, the better). Pre-consumer is good, but “postconsumer” is the source that helps keep recycling programs for consumers sustainable. At the
very least, you may see the following symbols. Here’s what they mean:
If you’re having a hard time finding products, it never hurts to ask. Ask retailers to stock products with recycled-content, or ask manufacturers to provide recycled-content products.
- Packaging: Boxes for foods such as cereal, crackers and cake mix. Bottles containing liquid laundry detergent, dishwashing liquids, shampoos and household cleaners.
- Paper products: Facial tissue, toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, greeting cards, writing paper and corrugated cardboard shipping boxes.
- Plastic products: Coat hangers, desk accessories, storage organizers, patio furniture, playground equipment and toys.
- Automotive: Re-refined motor oil, retread tires, rebuilt/remanufactured parts and used cars.
- Garden supplies: Hoses, planters and mulch.
- Clothing and accessories: Tennis shoes and hiking boots. Clothing fabric made of recycled plastic bottles.
- Home maintenance: Carpeting, door mats, roofing, wallboard, paint, insulation, gutters and down spouts, siding and flooring.
- Office supplies: Copier and printer papers, notepads, remanufactured toner cartridges,bulletin boards, rulers, scissors, pencils and refurbished office furniture.